logo logo title
Saturday, June 23, 2018
 
Doctors Consulting Room Holy Family Surgical And Medical Wards Theater secretaries theatre2 Accident and Emmergency Statue
 

Enquire Online

Fill out our online form to request information or a consultation.

 

Call Us

Click here for a list of
useful contacts.

:: ::

 
 
Brief History

Brief History

The Holy Family Hospital (HFH) was established in 1954 by the Medical Missions Sisters. It all began in early 1953 when three (3) founding elders of the St. Paul’s Catholic Church of Techiman (now St. Paul Cathedral), visited the then Catholic Bishop of Kumasi – Bishop Hubert Paulissen to express their desire for a Hospital for Techiman. The Bishop promised to solicit for funding for the project, and further redirected them to the Rev. Sr. Laetitia Flieger,a Medical Mission Sister, who was then helping in the construction of the buildings of the Berekum Holy Family Hospital for further discussions.

 

The efforts of the Church elders were supported by the Techiman Traditional Council when the Techimanhene – Nana Akumfi Ameyaw III made a personal donation of Twenty Thousand Pounds (£20,000) towards the project. On the 7th of July 1953, the Techiman Local council set up a board to choose a site for the project. In October 1953, approval was received from the Ministry of Health for construction of the Hospital to begin.

In April 1954, a total land area o twenty (20) acres was given out together with a gift of Four Thousand Pounds (£4,000) by the Techiman Traditional Council for the project. On 17th December 1954, Nana Akumfi Ameyaw III laid the cornerstone for the construction of the Hospital and Bishop Bronk of Kumasi blessed it.

Ownership of the Hospital was transferred by the Medical Mission Sisters to the Catholic Diocese of Sunyani in December 1977. Upon the creation of the Techiman Diocese out of Sunyani, the Hospital was further handed over to the Diocese of Techiman in 2008. From its humble beginnings in 1954, the Hospital has grown and developed to become the Municipal Hospital for the Techiman Municipality serving as the referral health facility for Techiman Municipality and other parts of the region and beyond

 

PRESENT STATE

From its humble beginnings as a small maternity with a dispensary in an L- Shaped builinding, the hospital has grown in size and stature, now offering a wide range of General and Specialist care as a major referral centre to the Techiman municipalty and beyond. The hospital has a current bed capacity of 330 beds. It is part of the National Catholic Health Service (NCHS) and also a member of Christian Health Association of Ghana (CHAG). The hospital has staff strength of 625 of various professionals.

The hospital is also designated by the Medical and Dental Council for training of doctors, anaesthetists, and Phycician Assistants (housemen). The Ghana College of Surgeon and Physicians has also designated the hospital for the training of Residents in Family Medicine. Many other universities and colleges in Ghana and Abroad have adopted the hosital as affiliates in trainnig of various health professionals.

 

  
 
 
Subscribe to our Newsletter
 
 

Download Now

March, 2018 NewsLetter

 
help banner

Testimonials

     
     
    Copyright © The Holy Family Hospitals. All Rights Reserved.